Today’s question is from Davey and he asks:
“How can I lower my blood pressure naturally? I’m tired of dealing with the negative side effects of medications. And for whatever reason, diet and exercise doesn’t seem to help that much.”
This is a really important question because most people don’t know that high blood pressure (hypertension) is the most important risk factor for premature deaths…
It accounts for over 50% of all deaths caused by cardiovascular problems and 14% of all total deaths each year!
Globally, high blood pressure affects 27% of the population and the stats are even worse in the US, about 35% of the population!
And get this, it has been estimated that 90% of Americans are expected to develop high blood pressure by the age of 65.
My Personal Struggles
I’m very familiar with the stats because I have a family history of high blood pressure (my dad’s side), which can lead to heart attacks and strokes.
With this in mind, it’s no exaggeration that I urge you to keep your blood pressure under control because it is one of the most important things you can do to extend your lifespan and reduce health problems (brain & heart).
And don’t worry, it’s much easier than you think and I’ll give you my favorite natural solution at the end of this video. It’s what my dad and I use every day.
“Normal” Is Still Too High
The newest research suggests that even “normal” blood pressure (120–129 / 80–84 mmHg) increases the risk of death from cardiovascular problems by 46% on average.
For women, the risk was slightly lower. But for men, it was much higher—80%, regardless of age.1
These results are alarming in light of the fact that 33% US citizens have blood pressure in the normal/high range (129–139 / 84–95 mmHg)….
Which means things are way worse for you.
Do Drugs Even Work?
Making the problem worse, studies have shown that some prescription drugs for “high normal” blood pressure and even mild hypertension are not very effective in some people.
A large review of randomized, clinical trials (performed by the prestigious Cochrane Collaboration) found that anti-hypertensive drugs used to treat mild hypertension (140–159 / 90–99 mm/Hg) did not reduce complications or the risk of death.2
What Does All Of This Mean For You?…
Even mild hypertension, while still in the “normal” range, can nearly double your risk of heart problems and thus, may potentially lead to a heart attack or stroke.
So we need to make sure your blood pressure is under control, preferably in the “low/normal” range.
The truth is that most people do NOT need drugs and thus, have to deal with the negative side effects that may be associated to prescription medications.
At the very least, even if you are going to take drugs, you SHOULD and MUST improve your lifestyle (diet, exercise, stress management, sleep, supplements, etc.), so that you need a lower dose of drugs.
Lower Your Blood Pressure, Naturally
Like I said earlier because I have a family history of high blood pressure, I’ve had to figure out the BEST ways to help support healthy blood pressure levels within a normal and youthful range.
So there’s hope and I’ll share with you one of my favorite solutions at the end of this article.
Don’t worry, you can do it and it’ll be much easier than you think.
This is really important for those that can’t or don’t want to make improvements in diet or exercise.
Like many health problems, high blood pressure has been linked to your genes, aging, hormonal imbalances and the modern UNHEALTHY diet and lifestyle.
High blood pressure affects only 1% of hunter-gatherer populations following a traditional diet,…. but its prevalence increases when those cultures who adopt a western diet and lifestyle …
Which is typically
- processed and refined foods
- sedentary behavior
- chronic sleep deprivation
- being overworked/stressed
- a lack of sun exposure
- and excess use of caffeine, alcohol and tobacco.3
… so if you have elevated blood pressure in an unhealthy range, here are my top 3 suggestions for promoting healthy blood pressure naturally.
1 – Right & Wrong FOODS
Remember that your genes and hormones are the primary controlling factors in how you look and feel.
And, what you EAT controls your hormones and thus, dictates “gene expression”.
Eating the wrong foods, causes a change in your hormones, triggering your genes to “come alive” and for some of us who are “sensitive” to high blood pressure (like my dad and myself), it can cause unhealthy blood pressure levels.
So with that said, here’s what you should pay attention to:
- Less Sugar & Simple Carbohydrates
– When your blood sugar spikes up, typically from eating sugar (found in foods, sodas, etc.) or from processed/refined carbohydrates (white bread, pasta, pastries, etc.), your blood pressure goes up and blood flow decreases.4
- More Vegetables & Fruits
– These foods have higher levels of potassium, magnesium, minerals and vitamins which help promote healthy blood pressure.5,6In fact, this is why Blood Pressure Optimizer, utilizes healthy and proven herbs, such as Hawthorn Berries, Grape Seeds, Celery Seeds, Pomegranate and Lycopene.
- Less Meat & More Fish
– Cold water fish has many healthy blood pressure benefits, primarily because of the healthy fats (EPA, DHA, polyunsaturated).7 The very opposite of modern-day meats.Wild-caught salmon is ideal because it has higher levels of healthy omega fats and less contamination.Alternatively, you can take at least 3 grams of fish oil pills.
There’s more, but this is a good start. Of course, drink more water and fewer “other” liquids (juices, soda, etc)!
2 – Healthy Lifestyle
There’s more you can do here, but I’ll keep it simple
- Lose Weight – Being overweight is never good for your body, and this includes unhealthy blood pressure.
- Exercise – You don’t need much. Just get out and WALK daily, even if it’s just 3x a week for only 15-20 minutes. Later you can add in weight training, which is much better.
- Sleep – My sleep is horrible and as we get older, it seems to get worse for most of us. Try to get to bed earlier. Reduce “light” from your computer, cell phones and TV. Exercise helps.
- Go Outside – Sunlight helps promote healthy blood pressure. And by walking outside 3x weekly, you’ll get two benefits in one.
- Relax – We live in stressful times, so you need to take a “time-out” daily and relax. You can meditate, do deep breathing, take a nap, get a massage or just go for a quick walk outside.
If you do just ONE thing, my suggestion is to get outside and take a walk daily. It pretty much does all the above all at once and it’s FREE =)
3 – The Correct Herbal Extracts
The right supplements, similar to food, can positively affect your hormones and can help support healthy blood pressure within a normal range, without any of the negative side effects of drugs.
Combined with a better diet and lifestyle, you’re good to go.
This is why I formulated Blood Pressure Optimizer for dad and myself. It’s safe and works quickly because it utilizes clinically researched, natural ingredients such as:
- Grape Seed Extract – There is a patented form called MegaNatural-BP (US patent 6,544,581), which is clinically shown to support healthy blood pressure within a normal range, in only 30 days.8
- English Hawthorne Berry Extract – Helps support strong contractile force in the heart and improves heart health.9,10
- Celery Seed Extract – Works similar to calcium channel blocking drugs, but without the negative drug side effects. Has many vascular benefits – for both your heart and brain.11
- Pomegranate Extract – A compound found only in pomegranates called punicalagin, has been shown to support healthy blood pressure and reduce the potential of blockages in the arteries.12
- Lycopene Extract – This is a substance normally found in tomato seeds. Studies have shown it can help support healthy blood pressure, arterial and blood vessel health.13
Well, there are other ingredients too… Such as Magnesium, Potassium, L-Arginine and specific vitamins.
Either way, Blood Pressure Optimizer is a great and simple start, while you slowly implement healthy lifestyle changes.